State Insurance Requirements
All registered or operated vehicles must be covered by liability insurance. The Minimum amount of liability coverage required by the state of Oklahoma is $25,000 for injury, $50,000 for all injuries, and $25,000 in property damage. Commonly referred to as 25/50/25 coverage.
You are required to carry proof of insurance in your vehicle.
The list below constitute legal proof of insurance:
- A temporary insurance card issued by the insurer
- Permanent Insurance Card
- Policy Declaration Page
- The actual liability insurance policy issued for the vehicle
- A certificate of liability insurance policy issued by either the insurer or an authorized agent
- A copy of the rental agreement when renting a motor vehicle which specifies the insurance coverage
Failure to provide proof of insurance, or operating a vehicle without proper liability insurance results in up to $250 fine, 30 days jail time, or both PLUS a license suspension.
DMV Point System
This state enlists a point system to monitor and penalize driving infractions. If a driver is convicted of traffic law violations, the driver will gain points on their drivers license. If those points reach a state specified amount, their license will be suspended for a predetermined period based on the amount of points gained. After three years time, a traffic conviction loses its‘ point value for suspension purposes. However, it will stay on your permanent driving record and may effect your insurance rates.
Below is a list of violations and their corresponding point values:
- Violation of license restriction – 2 points
- Reckless driving – 4 points
- Careless driving – 2 points
- Speed – 2 points
- Speed in excess of 25 mph above posted limit – 3 points
- Failure to stop or remain stopped for a school bus loading or unloading – 4 points
- Following too close or improperly – 2 points
- Failure to obey stop sign or traffic light – 2 points
- Failure to yield right of way – 2 points
- Left of center or wrong way on one way – 2 points
- Operating a defective vehicle – 1 point
- All other violations – 1 point
If a driver accumulates 10 points within five years their license is suspended.
AutoCricket.com is in no way offering legal advice to consumers. Although we update our information regularly, and attempt to be as accurate as possible, state laws may change and we are not liable for any misinformation resulting in legal action or otherwise.